Monday, July 19, 2010

Tour de Shore

90 degrees before 7am, 100% humidity.

After realizing I forgot my bike gloves and body glide (uh, oh), I hopped on my bike ready to ride.  Thanks to kettle bells my hands are already callused and the lack of bike gloves saved me some pretty strange tan lines.  The first mile from 20th and Walnut to the Ben Franklin Bridge, was slow.  Lots of riders with no where to go.  Unfortunately we were stopped midway up the bridge and had to restart with no acceleration.

By mile 5, riders spread out and the real ride began.  Small roads through New Jersey, lots of pot holes and as a result lots of flats.  Thankfully, I didn't get one.  (I probably should learn how to change a tire quickly one of these days...)

Our speed made the air feel a bit cooler and the humidity less intense.  We got off the bike at all 4 rest stops and I forced myself to rehydrate before getting back on.  The ride was scenic, who knew I'd ever say that about New Jersey.

We reached a turning point with a large intersection 7 miles from the finish.  There was still some fuel left and we ended averaging 21 mph, not bad :-).

We got to the finish and each had a beer, which affected our bodies far too much.  (If only we could get drunk off 1 beer all the time...  )  My cycling shoes were hot, uncomfortable and difficult to walk in so we found a typical AC Boardwalk store and bought some much needed flip flops!!!




Overall it was great, I'm so glad I didn't back out.  If my friend Lizzie hadn't come from DC to ride with me, I may have.  So, thanks Lizzie!




No comments:

Post a Comment