Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Reinventing recipes- butternut squash soup

A wonderful red headed Canadian came to visit DC and decided it was time I learned to cook for myself sensibly.
She gave me a recipe for Butternut Squash soup and then reinvented it to fit my liking.  No curry, no oil, and definitely no coconut milk!  It came out divine, thank you KT! :-)

For my vegetarian friends, omit the chicken!  Still wonderful!!!!



INGREDIENTS
1 10 ounce package frozen pureed winter squash
1 cup water
8 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
1 6 ounce bag baby spinach
2 tsp lime juice
1/4 tsp salt

PREPARATION

  1. Heat squash, water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the squash defrosts, about 10 minutes. Add chicken, reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Stir in spinach, lime juice, to taste and salt and continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes longer.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds yummy. My mom does it another way still using no coconut milk and instead of lime juice use orange juice..its yummy

    ReplyDelete