Sunday, April 25, 2010

Heated room HELL

Enter a Bikram studio, temperatures ranging between 94 and 103 degrees F.  I could sweat reading a book in there.
Enter the instructor, everyone rises.  We are lead through 26 exercises including 2 breathing exercises.  I have a love-hate relationship with Bikram yoga.  It heals me, strengthens me, helps to increase my flexibility and injury prevention.  I leave after 90 minutes, drenched in sweat but relaxed (and glad to be breathing colder air).  Every class, around 60-70 minutes through the practice, I think 'why do I put myself through this torture.'  I'm hot, sweaty and frustrated as I lose concentration and find myself falling out of poses.  And then I remember why I'm come- because I leave feeling better than I walked in ... ALWAYS.
I believe that Bikram will help improve my athletic performance, and maybe even get me through a marathon sans injuries.  I'm finally learning the importance of incorporating yoga, pilates, etc. into my training regimen- realizing it can be almost as beneficial as long runs themselves.
I encourage you to try Bikram, in whatever city you reside.  Most studios have a trial week for ~$20...you can do all the Bikram you can handle in 7 consecutive days.  That may be just what you need to bring on the addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment