Tuesday, April 20, 2010

In the running world.... GIRLS RULE




Twenty-five years ago, my mom was a minority.  A female runner- a female marathoner no less.  Now, as I begin (or start and stop) my running career, women have finally caught up and surpassed (in a few races) male registration numbers.
Some attribute this to the fact that females are more organized and more apt to register on time before a registration closes out.  Others say woman are drawn to running due to the camaraderie that comes with the mileage.  Whatever it is, women are finally standing out in races.
 Women still are not, and never will be as fast as men, but races are becoming more of a social experience than just about times itself.  After two stress fractures in 2009, I wish I could go out just to enjoy myself in every race 100% of the time.  Regardless of time, I wish I could be proud just completing the race.  I'll never be first and I'll never be last so why not enjoy myself for the long haul. 
Check out this article in the Philadelphia Inquirer.  I look forward to seeing the ladies (and men) at Broad Street May 2nd!  I'll be in a running skirt running alongside a best friend, Michele Annibal (as long as my tibia can keep up with her).  SEE YOU  THERE!

MORE WOMEN RUNNING AND RACING

No comments:

Post a Comment