Sunday, May 2, 2010

Broad Street Blues




High of 88 degrees
30,000 runners
1,000,000 cups for hydration
...
And not one of us was prepared for this weather. It usually takes someone about 2 months to adjust to running in the heat. I hate the heat, so it takes me a bit longer. Unfortunately, all training runs leading up to today were in late winter, early spring with an average temperature of about 50 degrees.
We were advised by the race directors to take it slow and listen to our bodies more than usual on a day like today. The fire hydrants were opened along Broad Street and used as sprinklers to help keep us cool.
I ran through too many hydrants and finished with soaking wet shoes and some pretty fine blisters to boot. Eek!
Several people were passed out around mile 9 with EMT's caring for them and hydrating them with IV's. As terrible as I felt, I knew as I looked around other people felt similarly.
Thank you to the other runners who pushed me at the end and especially to Miley Cyrus who I listened to on repeat when things got painful!

A friend of mine, finished her first race ever today. She trained properly for Broad Street after not running more than 2 miles before! I tried to convince her that all races aren't this hot and humid- hopefully she'll be back for the distance run in September. It's a Rock n Roll race this year!

See Michele's feeling's on Broad Street below!


No comments:

Post a Comment