Sunday, May 9, 2010

Injury Woes

As I rung in the New Year on the port of Capetown, South Africa I cheers-ed to a healthier and stronger 2010.  Still suffering from a stress fracture in my left femur, I didn't have the luxury of running in South Africa, but I'll be back someday to do so.
After receiving an entry via lottery for the NYC 2010 Marathon, I thought my wish had come true.   I still felt slight pains in my legs during my spring training but I thought it was a combination of earlier stress fractures and the fact that I'd taken months off from running.  Muscles hurt when running distances, so I thought nothing of it.
A stubborn pain in my right tibia started nagging me in late April.  I told myself I was listening to my body and taking it easy- not introducing hills or speed work into my training.  Since Broad St, this nagging pain has become more sensitive to one specific area on my bone making it painful to walk let alone run.  When I left DC, I also left my beloved orthopedist at Georgetown Hospital, Dr. Delahay.  I plan on making an appointment with a new sports orthopedist this week in Philadelphia.  This hasn't been diagnosed yet- I assume I'll go in for an xray in the next few days.  My fingers are still crossed but it's not looking good.
45% of female runners suffer from stress fractures and I'm on a quest to figure out why and how I can prevent them (while still running).  A silly resident at Georgetown once told me the best way to prevent injury was to sit on the sofa and watch tv.  I responded (unamused) saying, "That's not an option, so please let's discuss options. And when can I run again?"
For now I'm trying to stay positive, and opting for non-running activities (spinning, bikram, TRX & kettlebell training).

1 comment:

  1. FEEL BETTER and heal for real this time!! Love love love the photo, love the girl I visited that beautiful place with, and holding on to the hope that you will be healthy the rest of the year!

    XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete