Thursday, May 13, 2010

New City, New Orthopedist

I seem to be on a roll, 3 stress fractures in less than 12 months.  I'm hoping that's close to a record, at least.
Another MRI, blood work and orthotics - my new doctor (a Brit!) is convinced he'll heal me for good.  
The blood work will be used to evaluate my vitamin levels, my D and calcium could still be weak despite the supplements I started taking last spring.  The good news is they are in three different locations which means I don't have 'one bad bone' preventing me from running. 

Stress fractures are common in females runners and several factors attribute to them:
1. Excessive training
2. Female Athlete Triad
3. Training on hard surfaces
4. Worn out running shoes
5. Inadequate nutrition
I've been trying to eliminate risk and reduce my training.  Any other suggestions?  Please advise! 

There are also several intrinsic risk factors which I have no control over (ie. genetic predisposition, foot structure, bone states).  A good sports medicine doctor and a realistic training schedule will hopefully overcome this injury frequenting my life. 

MRI is scheduled for next week to determine the stage of the SF.  I'm staying positive and not letting an MRI bring me down!

Hello, cycling!

No comments:

Post a Comment